Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Doors of Opportunity


-click on image to enlarge-

The above photo of the west (front) school doors from an old annual is representative of a golden opportunity we had when we last went through them. I recall going through them many times; to recess and then back to the "grind", streaking to the bike stand to get to my paper route in the afternoon, and the hurried exit to Summer vacation each year.

I had no idea when I last walked through them that 52 years later, looking at this photo, I would stop and think what magnitude the knowledge and learning I had gotten from the classes inside that building would have upon my life.

Many of us had only a few short years left after graduation. Some gave the ultimate sacrifice in the military, others went on to have distinguished public careers or just be public service workers with good homes and families. Without the desire of the teachers at BHS influencing us, it would have been much more difficult after we finished school.

To all of those whose devotion to teaching us necessary skills in language, math, science and the arts, and to the coaches who helped with our athletic abilities, we salute you.

8 comments:

  1. Carl, very well written! It would be great to see other photos from inside the old building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that old brass water fountain out by the flag pole.

    J.B.'s office was to the left of the doors in this picture... many times I wanted to just run out these doors instead of stopping by the office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That water fountain had pressure... it would drown you if you weren't careful. When someone was drinking, another person would slip up behind and tromp on the pedal wetting everything and everyone around, and then run!

    The fountain would shoot at least 20 feet in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellis Wayne hit a baseball at the home plate out by the highway and it hit the steps outside these doors once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sidewalk seemed so much longer when I was a student. Did they shorten it? I don't remember the water fountain by the flag pole; however, I remember the one in the hall where Mr. Baker stood watch admonishing "Don't run!" Usually when the bell rang signaling the end of lunch, we would run up the east stairs and stop for a quick drink of water. One day everyone else kept going because of Mr. Baker's presence, but I stopped. As I headed down the hall, I felt the sting of a paddle on my sittin' down place. I doubt if I ever again paused for a drink there. I was humiliated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil, those wall stains may be footprints. The boys waiting to get into the principal's office would lean back against the wall and put one dirty shoe against it to steady themselves getting ready for the inevitable prospect of a sore backside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have dreams of coming in that front door, afraid I will see HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had nightmares for years about it being the last day of my senior year and were supposed to turn our books. Mr. Baker tells us that we have to turn all of our books or we can not graduate. I look and look but I can't find mine. Then I suddenly wake up in a sweat and realize IT WAS JUST A DREAM!

    ReplyDelete